Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Chole/ Chana Masala

Chole(pronounced as cho-lay) or Chana masala is a popular Punjabi(north-Indian) preparation. Its a side-dish with chickpeas in sour sauce. Usually eaten with batura, or roti. But I can have it as a healthy brunch.
Ingredients-
1cup chickpeas
1large onion
2large tomatoes
1tsp ginger-garlic paste
1green chilli
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/2tsp tumeric powder
lime-sized ball tamarind
Whole spices
1stick cinamon
2cardamom
3cloves
To garnish
Coriander leaves

Preparation-
  • Soak chickpeas overnight. Add water, tumeric and whole spices and pressure cook till soft.
  • Roughly chop onion and tomatoes and puree.
  • Soak the tamarind in warm water and extract the paste.
  • In a pan heat oil and crackle mustard seeds. Add chopped green chilli.
  • Add the tomato-onion puree and ginger-garlic paste, and cook.
  • Add the tamarind paste, the boiled chickpeas, salt, garam masala and stir well.
  • When it simmers, take off the heat.
  • Add freshly chopped coriander and serve with baturas or rotis.

13 comments:

  1. Shirley, what a simple ovely dish. Thanks alot. Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is light and nutritious, Shirley! I also want this for brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My roommate's mom makes her a dish just like this that I love! I've been thinking about recreating it...thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely and healthy brunch, nice one ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks very delicious. Thanks for passing the recipe along. Looking forward to making it for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the flavours. They all come together. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. A delicious and flavorful dish with chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chick peas. Used to boil it as snack. Love how you cooked it here. Looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to prepare chickpeas, I love all the flavors you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am a great fan of chole masala, especially with bhatura....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always make chana masala using the store bought chana masala mix, now I can make it from scratch. Love it with poori or bhatura

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so delicious. I love chickpeas but have never tried this dish and now I must. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful version of it, Shirley! I'll try really, for surely will have a different taste from tamarind and others. I'd like to find here on the blog and I will definitely try other recipes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin