Monday, June 21, 2010

Jackfruit Panacotta


Panacotta (from Italian cooked cream) is an Italian dessert made by simmering together cream, milk and sugar, mixing this with gelatin, and letting it cool until set. It is generally from the Northern Italian region of Piemonte, although it is eaten all over Italy, where it is served with wild berries, caramel, chocolate sauce or fruit coulis. It is not known exactly how or when this dessert came to be, but some theories suggest that cream, for which mountainous Northern Italy is famous, was historically eaten plain or sweetened with fruit or hazelnuts.


 After having seen many of my blogger friends try panacotta, its been on my list for a while. I did try a not so very successful attempt (too much gelatine), but finally got it right this time! Ideally I need to serve it with some fruit jelly or coulis, but I was so thrilled at the success, I decided to post it this way.
Panacotta experts do feel free to give me your tips.


Ingredients-
4-5 pieces of jackfruit
1 cup cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbs heaped gelatine
grated nutmeg
Preparation-
  • Deseed the jackfruit and puree.
  • In half cup warm water dissolve the gelatine and keep aside.
  • Combine together the cream, jackfruit puree, and sugar and heat.
  • Stir well, when the mixture reaches boiling point add the dissolved gelatine and a little nutmeg and stir well.
  • After a minute take off the heat and cool.
  • Pour in mould and freeze till it sets.
  • Serve chilled.

15 comments:

  1. We are huge fans of panna cotta, love your mold!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your take on panna cotta! The jackfruit must impart such a nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty panna cotta, sounds delightful with jackfruit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Shirley. my dads family is from Lucca and Florence, my mom's from the Piedmont. I make panna cotta a lot but never with Jackfruit! It looks delish!I'm going to have to find fresh jackfruit and try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh this looks wonderful very creative so sorry I haven't stopped by in a while love Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's perfect with just the grating of nutmeg. Sometimes simplicity makes the boldest statement. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks awesome. never thought of using jackfruit in a panacotta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the success! I've never tried making panna cotta =] It looks really yummy though- I'll have to try it one day. Jackfruit is an unusual flavour.....I'm not sure that I've tried it before !

    ReplyDelete
  9. So delicious, awesome combination ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried making panna cotta before, maybe it's high time to try. Great combination with jackfruit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I ever missed this post I think I'm going to cry out loud. haha...Lucky me, manage to drop by for this addictive & delicious looking Jackfruit panna cotta! Jackfruit is such a unique fruit. I love the smell of it so much. Hope you're having a great day, dear.
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds interesting and new with jackfruit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I love panna cotta, but don't know about jack fruit :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin