Friday, February 19, 2010

Tomato Chutney



A friend  is expecting! And she says she craves for sour and spicy. I've been wanting to prepare tomato chutney since a while, so this was the best excuse. Though I am not very fond of spicy food, this one I have to admit is really addictive! The aroma, flavour and colour all hit you. I guess thats what is "umami". I've been trying to understand "umami" this month and I think I've got it.
This recipe is adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor's 'Any Time Temptations'.
Panchporan is a five-spice mixture(panch meaning five) used for tempering.
Though I've added 2 kashmiri chillies its not too spicy, and can be easily used in a sandwhich for a kid. You can enjoy this with some hot parathas as well.

Tomato Chutney

Ingredients-
5 large ripe tomatoes
2 whole red Kashmiri chillies
1tbs oil
1sprig curry leaf
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1tbs grated jaggery
1tsp red chilli powder
salt to taste
For Panchphoran-
1/2tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1/2 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/4tsp fenugreek seeds(methi)
1/2tsp cumin seeds(jeera)

Preparation-
  • Wash and chop tomatoes
  • Remove stems and break red chillies with hand.
  • Heat oil in saucepan. Add panchphoran, when it crackles add the broken red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
  • Add chopped tomatoes and stir the mixture for 10 minutes. Add grated jaggery, red chilli powder, and salt.
  • Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or till the tomatoes are cooked and completely mashed.
Enjoy!
You might also like
Mint Chutney

14 comments:

  1. The tomato chutney sounds fabulous with the addition of all the different seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chutney looks delicious. I would love it with paratha or the Chinese scallion pancakes....yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning picture! You are so creative.I would love to try to make this but what is asafoetida,jaggery nigella seeds? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely recipe, Shirley! And the colour looks great too. I just got back and still trying to catch up with all of you. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to your friend!

    Umami is one of those mysterious things that I can tell if it's there but I couldn't possibly intentionally recreate it. This dish looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this recipe. The chutney looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that looks nice and hot. But how is this eaten? It looks like a sauce like salsa. Perhaps eaten with meat?

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow this with dosa is heaven love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Shirley, I made this today and served it with parathas. It was a hit!

    We are Gujratis and we make a variation of this chutney. We serve it as a subzi by simply adding sev (the slightly thicker one) at the end.

    when there's no time and something needs to be made quickly, this works as a life saver. Just this and chhapatis make a good instant meal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks great Shirley! Think I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly,
    I thought Nigella seeds were available there.

    Joanne,
    Would love to discuss umami with you.

    Chris,
    Though it looks like salsa, its different. In salsa onions, garlic and green pepper are used, whereas in a chutney you have the dry spices. Though both are spicy the flavours wouldnt be the same. Do try it out with meat and let me know.

    Ekta,
    Love your feedback! Isnt the taste simply fantastic! Easy to have the family and guest eating out of your hands with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This chutney looks wonderful and good for many dishes. You're on the right track, this is definitely umami.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shirley. It's very intriguing, but I have to admit, I've never heard of half the ingredients there. ;-)

    I think I just know the tomatoes and chili powder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to do another chutney - will give this a go! Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin